Whether designing and building a completely new green residence or adding green features through renovations, the benefits of building a green home can be found in three important categories.
First and foremost, green building strategies are intended to benefit the environment. They:
- Preserve, protect and support local ecosystems and animal populations.
- Improve the quality of the local air and water supplies.
- Reduce or eliminate sources of waste that can harm the environment.
- Conserve natural resources and allow depleted natural resources the opportunity to regenerate and improve.
- Reduce demands on local energy utility companies, which will reduce pollutants produced by the burning of coal to generate electricity.
Costs and Economics
Owners of green homes can find several attractive economic benefits to using environmentally friendly construction materials and techniques. They:
- Reduce ongoing costs through the use of high-efficiency HVAC equipment, improved insulation, energy-efficient windows and building materials, and smart design and planning.
- Expand markets for green products. Using green products and services naturally expands their market. As the market grows, green construction will become more readily available and costs for green materials will decrease.
Social and Personal
Green construction offers social benefits, both for individual home occupants and the larger community. This environmentally-friendly construction:
- Improves occupant comfort and health. Green homes tend to be more comfortable and pleasant places to live, which improves occupant comfort, attitudes and productivity. In addition, green building materials contain fewer health-harming substances such as formaldehyde or toxic chemicals.
- Minimizes the environmental impact on the community. Green homes use natural resources efficiently, reduce waste and decrease exposure to pollutants.
Sage Builders LLC supports green home building in Boston and the surrounding communities of Massachusetts. Contact us today for more information on the benefits of building a green home and for professional design, construction and consulting services that support environmentally-friendly residential building.
Image via Shutterstock.com