In any new building project, almost every aspect of the process can be influenced by sustainable construction concepts and techniques. Here are just a few ways that components of your new structure can apply the best ideas and materials of sustainable construction.
- Framing: Buildings can be framed with structural products made of recycled or reconstituted wood. This type of framing is usually made of wood chips that have been laminated or glued together. The process of making this material significantly reduces waste. In addition, almost any type of wood can be used, which allows better use of available resources.
- Roofing: Products made of fiber-cement combinations use wood fibers and, in some cases, waste paper to create sturdy, long-lasting roofing.
- Insulation: Effective insulation can be made from cellulose, which is recycled newspaper and other paper items. The material is treated with substances that make it flame retardant and that discourage insects.
- Flooring: Flooring can be recovered from old buildings and these salvaged timbers can be remilled and used again as flooring. This cuts down on the number of new trees needed to produce floor products.
- Countertops: Recycled glass, embedded in cement, can be used as a countertop material that’s both durable and attractive.
Sage Builders LLC offers residential clients top-quality design, construction and renovation services. Contact us today for more information on sustainable construction and how to make the best use of sustainable products and concepts to improve the quality, efficiency and comfort of your new Newton area home.
Image via Shutterstock.com