Keeping a home renovation project as green as possible requires sticking to a few concepts and procedures that support environmental friendliness. Here are some ways to proceed with a high-quality green home renovation.
Sage Builders LLC
- Use an efficient and open design: Design your renovated spaces to provide efficiency of movement through them, with ease of access to other areas of the home. An open floor plan can give you and your family the ability to use the space efficiently for years to come.
- Work with sustainable materials: Use sustainable materials that come from reliable sources. Materials certified by the Forest Stewardship Council, for example, come from carefully managed forests that are well maintained for ongoing use. Materials such as cork and bamboo are beautiful, popular, and renewable.
- Use non-toxic materials: Install non-toxic materials that contain few volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and that don’t off-gas strong fumes. Use paints, varnishes, cleaners, and similar substances that are also low VOC.
- Install efficient lighting: Use LED lighting fixtures that consume less energy. Instead of using standard incandescent bulbs, use CFLs that provide plenty of light but at a lower cost.
- Use recycled materials: Countertops, residential flooring, and other material recycled from other sources can save money and prevent the need to purchase new items. Make sure that these recycled items, or other items containing recycled materials, do not include components that could still be giving off gases and fumes.
- Choose low-maintenance materials: Choose materials that are designed to last for long periods with little maintenance, such as stone patio pavers.
is a general contractor in Newton, MA that serves residential customers with expert design/build, renovation, and consulting services. Contact us today for more information on green home renovation and how to keep your renovation project as green and environmentally friendly as possible.
Photo via Sage Builders, LLC