Concrete is considered a highly useful construction material, but some homeowners may have reservations when using it for a floor. Concrete floors have some limitations, but they also have many benefits that make them suitable for use in even high-end residential construction applications. Here is some background information on concrete floor installation and why you might want to choose this option:
- Concrete is very versatile: Concrete floors can be poured to accommodate almost any physical shape or size.
- Concrete is durable: The general strength of concrete makes it a good choice for long-term strength and durability.
- Concrete can be sustainable: Adding fly ash to concrete makes it a more sustainable choice for floors in a residential setting.
- Concrete can be colored: Colorants can be added to concrete to make multiple hues that complement indoor environments.
- Concrete coatings and sealants should have low VOCs: The waterproof coatings and sealants for a concrete floor should have low amounts of volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, that can create unpleasant fumes and odors.
- Concrete improves indoor air quality: Concrete floors help improve indoor air quality because they minimize dust and do not have environments where moisture can accumulate and lead to problems such as mold growth.
- Concrete is relatively easy to maintain: Maintenance and cleaning practices should be designed to ensure no abrasion, scratching, or etching of concrete floors to attain long-term durability and performance.
- Concrete is relatively inexpensive: Concrete floors can cost from $2 to $30 per square foot, depending on quality and other characteristics.
Looking for a general contractor in Newton, MA? Sage Builders LLC provides professional design/build and renovation services for residential customers throughout New England. Contact us today for more information on concrete floor installation and for help deciding if a concrete floor is the right choice for your home.