The return of warmer weather to the Boston area brings with it the need for springtime home maintenance. Here is a brief eco-friendly spring maintenance checklist you can use to ensure your home stays comfortable this spring and summer.
- Clean gutters and downspouts: Make sure the gutters and downspouts on your home are cleaned of leaves, sticks, mud, or other obstructions that could interfere with the rainwater drainage.
- Check roof for damage: Have the roof inspected for any signs of damage that occurred over the winter. Damage here could result in air and energy loss or water leaks. Have any damage repaired immediately.
- Have preventive maintenance performed on HVAC equipment: Contact your HVAC service provider for a preventive maintenance tune-up and inspection on your heat pump or air conditioner. Preventive maintenance ensures that the system works at its highest level of efficiency and lowest possible cost while consuming the least amount of energy.
- Clean or replace cooling system air filter: Make sure the air filter in your cooling system is clean and fresh. Air filters contribute not only to indoor air quality but to cooling system efficiency and effectiveness.
- Clean HVAC components: Outdoor HVAC units should be cleaned to ensure there are no accumulations of mud, leaves, sticks, grass, or other debris that would interfere with air flow. Internal components, including coils, should be cleaned to ensure proper operation and heat transfer.
- Make seasonal changes at the thermostat: Ensure the programmable thermostat controlling your HVAC system is set to provide cooling and that temperature settings are appropriate for the increasingly warm weather.
Sage Builders LLC is a general contractor in Newton, MA, serving Boston-area homeowners with expert residential design, construction, and renovation services. Contact us today for more information on tasks you can add to your eco-friendly spring maintenance checklist.