Eco-friendly kitchen cabinets offer home builders and renovators plentiful options for useful and attractive kitchen design. An unexpected benefit of these types of cabinets is an improvement in indoor air quality in your home. Consider the following eco-friendly kitchen cabinets for your next kitchen project.Craftsman Kitchen by Seattle Architects & Designers microhouse
- Formaldehyde and VOC-free materials: Many commercially manufactured cabinets contain formaldehyde in their particleboard, plywood or fiberboard interiors. This formaldehyde, a proven carcinogen, can be released into your indoor environment. In addition, the coatings and finishes on some cabinets contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which can produce unpleasant chemical fumes and odors. Choose eco-friendly kitchen cabinets that don’t contain these potentially harmful additives and you’ll also improve your indoor air quality as well as your kitchen design.
- FSC-certified wood: Cabinet materials certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) are guaranteed to come from responsibly harvested forests that promote sustainability and resource renewability.
- Hardwood veneer: Hardwood veneer is made by applying a thin layer of hardwood over a lower-value sub-material to create a visually appealing surface that doesn’t overuse a valuable natural resource.
- Renewable wood materials: Renewable wood resources such as bamboo produce sturdy, good-looking cabinetry out of material that’s easily and quickly grown, harvested and processed. Bamboo, in particular, can be stronger and tougher than many hardwoods.
- Salvaged wood: Cabinets made of salvaged wood can be as beautiful and long-lasting as the wood they’re made from. Salvaging and reusing wood that might otherwise be discarded or left to decay is a top choice for homeowners seeking environmentally friendly construction options.
Sage Builders LLC offers expert design, construction and consulting services to residential clients throughout Boston and the surrounding communities. Contact us today for more information on eco-friendly kitchen cabinets and how they can beautify your kitchen while also improving your indoor living environment.